THE BEST VEGAN TACOS EVA!
This recipe was created with ingredients from milkandeggs.com and features Daiya Foods vegan cheese to support ASPCA in their upcoming Factory Farm Detox. I am excited that this delicious Vegan Tacos recipe will be included in it! To support ASPCA in their mission to further animal welfare by boycotting factory farmed consumer goods and food products, sign up now at aspca.org/detox.
If you live in Southern California, Milk & Eggs will deliver organic farm-fresh produce, pastured eggs, grass fed meats, your favorite nut milks, and all of your other favorite grocery staples to your front door, while you sleep, FOR FREE! Use the discount code 'RH20' to save $20 on any order $40 or more!
Do you love tacos? Yah, me too! And I also love sweet potatoes, and corn, and avocados, and spicy food and tortillas. So when I was laying in bed dreaming of recipes, this sweet, savory, spicy, cheesy combo popped into my head and the results were just as amazing as I imagined. The shiitake mushrooms add a meaty mouth-feel and a satisfying layer of umami to the dish, while the melted, salty vegan cheese work in perfect harmony against the sweetness of summer corn and sweet potato. A burst of acid from fresh lime rounds out the dish for a delicious balance.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 1 or 2 limes
- Avocado oil or EVOO
- 1 large sweet potato
- 4oz shiitake mushrooms (or other mushrooms if shiitake are not available)
- 2 ears of corn
- Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- Garlic Powder
- Sea Salt
LET’S DO THIS:
- Bring a small pot of water to boil on your stovetop.
- Cut a lime into quarters and set aside.
- Wash and dice the sweet potato (skin on okay), and boil for 5 minutes until slightly softened. Remove from the heat, drain, and set aside.
- In the meantime, heat an indoor grill like this one, and when hot, start grilling the corn on all sides, turning the corn when you see char marks. (NOTE: If you don’t have an indoor grill, just cut the kernels off of the cob, and sauté with the mushrooms in the step below).
- Slice the shiitake mushrooms. Heat a cast-iron skillet and spray with 4th & Heart Ghee Spray (NOTE: use an olive oil spray or coconut oil-based spray if you want these vegan). Spray the mushrooms in the pan also, and then sauté the mushrooms until softened and reduced to about half of their size. This is also the step where you’d want to cook your corn along with the mushrooms if you don’t have an indoor grill.
- Once the mushrooms are softened, add your sweet potatoes + 1TBS of olive oil, and start sautéing those as well.
- While the sweet potatoes are sautéing, cut the charred corn kernels off of the cob, then add to the sauté pan along with 1/4tsp cayenne pepper (optional if you like it spicy), 1tsp garlic powder, 1tsp smoked paprika, 1/2tsp sea salt, 2tsp Siete Foods jalepeno hot sauce, and the juice of 1/2 a lime.
- Once all of the vegetables are heated through, add 1/2C Daiya vegan cheese shreds, and stir into the vegetable mixture until melted.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Heat tortillas as needed for serving, then top each tortilla with 1/4C of the vegetable + cheese filling, and then garnish with avocado, cilantro and a squeeze of lime. I also add extra Siete Foods hot sauce on top since I like it extra spicy!
NOTE: Recipe for the Oh She Glows Vegan Caesar Salad featured on this page can be found by clicking here.