THE BEST DANG TACOS EVER!
You know how every once in a while you'll eat something and it just hits on every pleasure center in your brain. Well this ended up being one of those recipes.
One of my biggest challenges as a "food blogger" is that I'm actually don't consider myself a food blogger. I never cook with recipes - just from intuition - and it has been an exercise in mindfulness to try to write down how I'm making things as I go so that blog readers can recreate these recipes and treats at home. But it has ended up working in my favor when I actually want to make something again. Like these insane tacos.
First of all, is there any food better than a taco? I mean, what DOESN'T taste better when it's in a tortilla. Nothing right?! After discovering Siete Foods grain free tortillas last year, I made the switch and never went back to wheat or corn tortillas. Siete Foods's tortillas are durable enough to hold a hefty taco, have the same chewy mouth-feel as a wheat tortilla, taste freaking amazing, and won't inflame the body or cause stomach upset like grain-based tortillas can. Convert for life!
I used to be really on the fence about consuming red meat, but came to discover that eating small amounts of GRASS-FED red meat is beneficial from two aspects:
1. Antibiotic, hormone-free GRASS-FED meat contents anti-inflammatory omega 3's (where as commercially raised meat contents inflammatory omega 6's).
2. Eating a small amount of red meat after your cycle can help to rebuilt lost blood in the system. Sorry if that's TMI guys, but this is a health & wellness blog first and foremost.
I am really fortunate to live in Southern California where I can have my groceries including sustainably raised meats, organic produce, and all of my favorite pantry staples and more delivered by Milk & Eggs. It's a life-saver in that it saves time now that I don't have to grocery shop (Milk & Eggs leaves a bag on my doorstep before I leave for work in the morning). AND they are always adding new products to their inventory, so I'm always finding new great things to try like Fourth & Heart's California Garlic Ghee, which I've been cooking EVERYTHING in. If you live in Southern California and haven't yet ordered from Milk & Eggs, use the code 'RH15' and you will get $15 off your first order plus orders $35 and over include FREE delivery every time!
Unfortunately if you don't live in SoCal, Milk & Eggs can't deliver to you, but most of the ingredients listed below can be found at Whole Foods and may other grocery retailers.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
Makes 4-5 servings (2 tacos per person)
For the Tacos
- (optional) 4oz. Organic shiitake mushrooms
- (optional) 1 diced jalepeno
- 2T Chili powder
- 2T Garlic powder
- 1T Smoked paprika
- 1T Onion powder
- 1tsp Chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp Chipotle pepper spice
- Pink himalayan sea salt & black pepper to taste
- (optional, but recommended) 1.5T Root & Bones Reishi Mushroom (use the code ‘RH15’ for 15% off)
- (optional) Avocado
- (optional) Watermelon radish
For the Sweet Potato Fries
- 1lb Organic sweet potatoes
- Pink himalayan sea salt
LET’S DO THIS:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and spray a cookie sheet with the Fourth & Heart Sprayable Ghee.
- Slice the sweet potatoes in half horizontally, and then into eights vertically to make sweet potato wedges.
- Place the sweet potato wedges onto the cookie sheet in a single layer, spray with more Ghee, toss, and then place in the preheated oven.
- In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, onion powder, chili flakes, & chipotle pepper spice.
- In a large cast iron skillet (I use this one), heat 1T of Fourth & Heart California Garlic Ghee.
- Once the ghee is melted, add the grass-fed ground beef to the skillet, breaking up with a wooden spoon or silicone spatula as it cooks.
- Once the meat is almost cooked through, add the spice blend and stir combine thoroughly. This is also when you would add the optional sliced shiitakes and/or optional diced jalepeno.
- Season the meat with salt & pepper according to taste, then add the (optional) Reishi mushroom.I highly recommend adding the reishi mushroom as it adds such a depth of flavor and tremendous health benefits to this dish.
- Once the spices have absorbed into the meat, set to the lowest setting on your stove, and heat a second skillet sprayed down with Fourth & Heart sprayable ghee on another burner.
- Toast the Siete Foods tortillas in the second skillet on both sides until golden-brown marks form. Repeat for all 8 tortillas.
- Remove the sweet potato fries from the oven, and season with salt to taste.
- To assemble the tacos, plate 2 tortillas per person, then do a layer of arugula, then a couple sweet potatoes on the tacos (optional), then cilantro, avocado, and watermelon radish as desired.
Serve hot with a huge heaping side of lightly salted sweet potato fries!