WILD CAUGHT HALIBUT with NON-DAIRY CREAMED SPINACH
Please note. This post is not a paid post although Milk & Eggs provides me with gift cards so that I can present my personal healthy selections and recipes to you. I do not however get paid by Milk & Eggs, so the opinions and thoughts expressed here are entirely my own. If you’re inspired by this post, use my discount code JKCOACH for $15 off of your orders over $35 and you will also get FREE delivery! I do not make commissions on your orders or get paid by Milk & Eggs, I just love this service and hope you do too!
This simple dish was created with the Reformation Health September 'Keto Challenge' in mind, which you will find on Instagram using the hashtag #rhketochallenge. That being said, you don’t need to be on a Kmetogenic diet to enjoy this simple yet beautiful dish. This is perfect for Paleo diets, grain-free diets, dairy-free diets, and really just for anyone needing a nutritious, anti-inflammatory dinner in under 30 minutes.
The creamed spinach is studded with slightly sweet caramelized shallots, and made creamy with non-dairy/vegan Kite Hill cream cheese, a staple in my refrigerator.
I long ago switched from olive oil to Primal Kitchen’s avocado oil for my cooking needs because I love the quality and flavor, but you can definitely use olive oil here if that’s your preference. I advise that you just do not use any other vegetable based oils such as corn or canola, as they are quite inflammatory in the body.
As always, if you have any questions, you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I look forward to your comments.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- Two pieces of wild-caught Halibut (or other fish of your choice)
- 1 Head of purple cauliflower (or use white or orange, there is no nutritional difference)
- 1 Shallot
- 1 Bunch of organic spinach
- (optional) Organic parsley
- Avocado oil (or sub olive oil)
- Salt & Pepper
- Prepare your vegetables. Peel and slice the shallot. Wash the cauliflower, removing leaves and stem, and chop into florets. Rinse spinach two times (I use a salad spinner like this one), then chop. Chop parsley (optional) and slice a lemon if you want to garnish with them.
- Preheat oven to 415 degrees, line a baking sheet with foil, and spray with cooking oil.
- Spread cauliflower florets onto the baking sheet in a single layer, toss with 1T of avocado oil, and bake in the oven, setting a timer for 25 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat 1T of avocado oil in a large skillet on medium. Once heated through, add the sliced shallots, and cook stirring frequently until softened and brown.
- Once the shallots have browned nicely add the chopped spinach, tossing with the shallots. Once the spinach wilts, remove from heat, and stir in 1T of the Kite Hill vegan cream cheese. Season with salt & pepper, and set aside.
- In a second non-stick skillet, spray with cooking spray and heat 1T of avocado oil. Once heated, add the fish, and cook on one side until it turns from translucent to almost opaque. Flip the fish, and cook on the other side until golden brown. Remove from heat, and season with salt & pepper.
- Remove the cauliflower from the oven, seasoning with salt & pepper.
- To plate, lay down a layer of the “creamed” spinach, and border the spinach with roasted cauliflower. Then top with fish, and garnish with parsley, red pepper flakes, lemon, and a drizzle of avocado oil (this step is optional).