LEMON CREAM PASTA WITH SHRIMP & SHAVED BRUSSELS (HOLD THE CREAM)
Please note. This post is not a paid post although Milk & Eggs provides me with gift cards so that I can present my personal healthy selections and recipes to you. I do not however get paid by Milk & Eggs, so the opinions and thoughts expressed here are entirely my own. If you’re inspired by this post, use my discount code JKCOACH for $15 off of your orders over $35 and you will also get FREE delivery! I do not make commissions on your orders or get paid by Milk & Eggs, I just love this service and hope you do too!
What is it about the combination of shrimp and pasta that is ALWAYS a win? It's just one of those dishes that always sounds good.
Whenever I place an order with Milk & Eggs, I always select 3 green vegetables and some seafood. I don't always have an idea of what I'm going to make, but I know that I can make something delicious and healthy with their farm-fresh vegetables and wild-caught seafood. I love the convenience of 'one-stop shopping' from Milk & Eggs because instead of spending time at the grocery store and then the farmers market to get everything that I need, I get more time in the kitchen which is what I love.
When my latest delivery arrived with a big bag of organic lemons, wild caught jumbo shrimp, and these gorgeous brussels sprouts, everything clicked together in my head and I realized I had everything on hand that I needed for a perfect summery pasta dish.
Using my standard non dairy cashew cream sauce as the base, I added fresh-squeezed lemon juice and freshly grated lemon rind - the ideal accompaniment to juicy grilled shrimp. This recipe is perfect for a casual dinner in at home, but also presents beautifully enough for a special date night. Just don't lick the plate in front of your guests, I assure you, you will be tempted.
As always, I used Banza in development of this recipe. Banza is a high-protein chickpea pasta which is friendly for grain-free and gluten-free diets. It has the taste and mouth-feel of regular pasta (unlike most gluten-free pastas), and is better for maintaining even blood sugar due to its higher protein content. You can use any pasta in this recipe, but I love Banza as part of a healthier diet, and you can find my other Banza pasta recipes here and here!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
Makes 4 servings
- 1 Box of Banza pasta
- 1lb Raw jumbo shrimped, rinsed, and then dried with paper towels
- 1/2lb Brussels sprouts
- 1 Lemon, rinsed
- 1/2C Raw cashews soaked overnight in water (or for 1 hour in boiling water), and then drained.
- 1/4C Nutritional yeast
- 1T Garlic Powder
- Sea salt & black pepper
- With a large knife, shred the brussels sprouts and set aside.
- In a Nutribullet or high-speed blender, combine the soaked & drained cashews, nutritional yeast, 1/2 of the lemon zest, the lemon juice, and garlic powder. Blend, then add salt & pepper to taste, blending as needed to combine until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Heat a nonstick indoor grill (like this one), and prep with non-stick spray. Grill the rinsed and dried jumbo shrimp, not flipping until one side is cooked almost all of the way through. Finish grilling the shrimp and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat 2tsp avocado oil . Once heated, sauté the shredded brussels sprouts until tender, but do not brown.
- In the large pot with the pasta, toss together the pasta, the lemon cream sauce, and the brussels sprouts. Heat briefly over low heat to make sure everything is nice and hot for serving.
- Once heated through, spoon into 4 pretty pasta bowls or plates, and top with shrimp.
- Garnish with the remaining lemon zest, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.