NOT YOUR MAMA’s GRAIN-FREE BREAD STUFFING
Thanksgiving is just days away and it’s one of favorite holidays. One of my favorite things to do is hack our family favorites and tweak them into a healthier and more ‘functional’ recipe. Something that’s not just more healthful, but possibly even beneficial! Many of the foods we eat at Thanksgiving - white flour, gluten, dairy, processed foods, and sugar, can leave us feeling bloated, fatigued, headachy, and even inflamed in our joints and gut. By making a few easy swaps, you can walk away from the table feeling lighter and energized.
This year - having gotten wise to grain-free, almond flour-based Barely Bread, I realized it could be incorporated into my mom’s tried and true Thanksgiving stuffing recipe. By using a high-protein, grain-free flour, you’re fueling and nourishing your body, without the insulin spike from regular bread and cornbread. I replaced chicken stock with BrothRx hormone and antibiotic-free, pasture raised chicken stock for high quality nutrients value. And lastly, I replaced inflammatory European-style butter with Fourth & Heart Ghee. Ghee contains no milk solids or lactose, which means it won’t prompt an immune response which - if your lactose or dairy intolerant - can cause bloating, gas, cramps, joint pain, and worse.
The finished stuffing tastes just as good as mom’s, but you can also feel good about eating it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do, and enjoy feeling lighter and energized after your holiday meals this year.
I would love to know...what are some of YOUR holiday hacks!?!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 6T Fourth & Heart Himalayan Sea Salt Ghee, melted
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 4 stalks celery with leaves, cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 2 cups)
- 1 package of Barely Bread baguette (both loaves)
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried sage, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2C Bone Broth, heated (I use BrothRx, a local SoCal brand. (You can get 15% off with the code RH15)
- (Optional) 1C of roasted chestnuts, or diced apple, or chopped mushrooms, or anything else that you love in your stuffing
- (Optional) Pomegranate seeds for garnish
LET’s DO THIS:
- Spray a 12-inch, heavy skillet over moderate heat with Fourth & Heart Ghee spray, and heat the Ghee until hot but not smoking. Stir in onion and celery, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 10 to 15 minutes. (Vegetables can be prepared up to 1 day ahead and refrigerated. Reheat before continuing: In 12-inch, heavy skillet over moderately high heat, sauté, stirring often, until heated through, about 5 minutes.)
- Transfer to large bowl and add stuffing cubes, parsley, celery salt, sage, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir in 1 1/2 cups hot bone broth, and the 6T of melted Fourth & Heart Ghee.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9x9” casserole dish with Fourth & Heart Ghee spray. Cover with aluminum foil and bake until heated through, about 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until top is slightly crisp and golden, about 10 minutes longer.